Create luminous lanterns to string up in your classroom or send home as great gifts! The 3D lanterns are cleverly designed to make assembly easy for little hands. Lanterns are a wonderful example of a cultural and historical artifact that you can discuss
in your next social studies class.
Our stained glass lanterns look a lot like the Andon and Crystal Magic lanterns used in Japan and China, respectively. Your students can be creative and can color in the lanterns any way they like. Adding stained glass to a lantern is a recent trend of turning a practical or useful lamp into a pretty and decorative piece of art.
Duration: 10 -13 minutes
Learning Outcomes: • Develop fine motor skills • Explore creativity
• Discover lantern and stained glass history • Use basic design techniques to develop ideas • Learn about Chinese and Japanese lanterns • Combine social studies with arts and crafts • Use multiple media to create a multi-use craft
- Each of the lanterns features 4 sky-themed designs. Each design is made to look like a stained glass window. The illustrations include a sun, moon, butterfly and bee. Cut out sections of colored tissue paper or R15275 Stained Glass Paper to glue under the designs.
- You can use different colors for parts of one illustration. For instance, paste white tissue paper pieces over the bee’s wings. Alternate and paste yellow and black tissue paper pieces across the separate sections of the bee’s body.
- Fold in the lantern along the pre-scored creases to make the lantern three dimensional.
- You’ll notice that its side edges are slightly smaller than the rest of the tab. These side tabs will help hook the tab in place when you insert it into the slot. Gently open the slot to loosen it up. Insert the tab into the slot by edging in first one side of the tab then the other.
- Finally, fold in all four tabs on the sides of the triangular roof flaps.
- Pass a length of fishing line, yarn or string through the holes of all four
roof tabs and tie a knot at the top to secure.
Now you can hang your lantern along a length of string with other lanterns in sequence or you can hang the lantern directly from the ceiling.
Celebrate Chinese New Year or the start of spring by stringing up the lanterns. You can also send the beautiful lanterns home as Mother’s Day gifts or for any other special event.
Please visit https://roylcostore.com/products/stained-glass-lanterns for more information.